Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Celebrity Authors

We have all seen them. Celebrities who write children's books is a fad that has lasted a while. Don't we all have enough competition from other deserving authors without celebrities jumping into our turf. Of course it all comes back to the notion that writing a children's books is very simple and anyone can do it (even a celebrity)!

So you can tell I'm not a fan but there are some exceptions. Jamie Lee Curtis (with illustrator Laura Cornell) have collaborated on a number of great books. This is a case of a great author who also happens to be an actress. Good going Jamie. And I think Henry Winkler (aka The Fonz) is an amazing writer and has a great series of kids novels. The late Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) wrote some simple, fun books AND did the illustrations!

I am happy to say that most celebrity books are here and gone quickly. When Katie Couric publishes a children's book and feels the need to write it in rhyme you know things have gotten bad.

So I have nothing against Madonna, Jay Leno, Olivia Newton John or any of the others who dabble in our field. If it gets kids (or their parents) into a book store, all the better.

But maybe I'll reciprocate-so look for me in the next Tom Cruise film. After all-how hard can it be?


1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more.

    And I can hardly wait for actress Emma Thompson's
    "sequel" to Beatrix Potter's PETER RABBIT.

    No, I am not kidding. Wish I was.

    Don't understand why Emma Thompson can't write her own original book. (Or maybe I do..$$$$$)

    ReplyDelete